In the pop genre songs are usually made to be relatively short and simple songs, which have elements of certain themes. Through out the development of the Pop Genre, many different genre's have been used as a basis for the form,vocal harmonies, instrumentals,tempo, backing and the rhythmic elements. The Genres used for the as influences for early Pop music include genres such as :
- Sentimental Ballads
- Gospel/Soul Music
- Hip Hop/Rap
Hatch and Millward define pop music as "a body of music which is distinguishable from popular, jazz and folk musics". Although pop music is often seen as oriented towards the singles charts it is not the sum of all chart music, which has always contained songs from a variety of sources, including classical, jazz, rock, and novelty songs, while pop music as a genre is usually seen as existing and developing separately. Thus "pop music" may be used to describe a distinct genre, aimed at a youth market, often characterized as a softer alternative to rock and roll. - Source Wikipedia
Characteristics of Pop Genre :
- Aim to appeal to a general audience, rather than to sub-culture audiences.
- Emphasis on the craftsmanship of the song and band rather than just the artistic quality.
- Emphasis on recording, production, and technology rather than the live performances.
- Could tend to write and reflect on existing trends rather than developments.
- Intended to encourage dancing when listening to the song, or could use dance beats, and rhythms.